Monday, June 14, 2010

On the morning of May 29th, My husband kissed me good-bye and headed out to an early morning fund raiser for a local charity in Red Deer. The weather was snowy and wet, not uncommon in Central Alberta as winter, spring and summer clash daily trying to claim as many days for their season that year. Alberta's winter is never a gracious looser to Summer, while Spring is the classic middle child - often overlooked and perhaps either too insecure about her place in the world or too uninterested to join the fight.

On this day however, my husband became the victim of the battle of the seasons. An oncoming truck lost control on the slushy roads and hit my husband's truck. My husband just happened to be talking to his brother(on his hands-free cell)so my brother-in-law heard him cry out. Jim immediately called me to tell me something was wrong. I jumped in my vehicle to find the accident. In my mind I expected to find Andrew exchanging information with another driver or maybe talking with police about what had happened.

Instead, I found him still inside his mangled 1 tonne Dodge Diesel while firemen were trying to cut him out. I tried to get to Andrew but a VERY big fireman stopped me. He said he didn't know anything about his "condition" but I should wait in my truck. I obeyed. I sat in my vehicle and watched as they cut the door off and then covered Andrew with a silver emergency blanket. They then began the process of using hydrolic hooks to pull the cab apart.

Finally a police officer came and told me that Andrew was alive and that I should go to the hospital and wait...

I obeyed...

I got to see Andrew briefly at the Red Deer hospital. They were getting ready to send him to Calgary. STARS Air Ambulance was not an option as the weather was too bad. But not to worry...a ground ambulance driving with lights and sirens would have the same turn around time...

His injuries were extensive. Both arms and both legs where broken and would require a 5 hour surgery to repair with rods, pins and plates. He had a skull fracture and 2 bleeds in his brain. Neurology in Calgary would be best able to deal with him. He had lost conscienceness and had been intibated.

5 days later, on June 3rd, I sat in the ICU family room and heard the doctor tell me and my family that my precious husband had a Moderate Traumatic Brian Injury. Diffuse Axonal injuries from the "rapid deceleration" of his brain on impact, as well as Fatty Embolisms from the bone breaks. (You can google those...)

This would have been enough to deal with...except on June 5th, my 15 year old daughter was rushed into emergency surgery with a ruptured appendix. I left my husband's side in Calgary to be with Sarah in Red Deer.

She already had 3 abcesses. In the following week, she has developed pneumonia and several more abcesses and she is still in the hospital in Red Deer. She is having her lung drained today in an attempt to reinflate a portion that has collapsed.

--------------------------------------

I haven't processed much yet in a meanful way. I want desperately for this not to be my life. I have absolutely no idea what tomorrow holds. I want to scream and yell and punch and kick - or just lay down and not get up again. Of course, these are not options for a "victorious woman of God". Whatever THAT means...

But I do know one thing. Beyond a shadow of a doubt...no matter what I think He is trying to "accomplish" in my life and how I feel about it...

I have a God who sees me.

And for now? That is enough.

3 comments:

Designed by God said...

Thank you for writing that...It probably was more for you than us, but I'm glad you shared your heart.

The Sunday after the accident, with a heavy heart I sat in church and sensed the Lord saying about you "He is still here, and He knows what you are going through. He hasn't stopped loving you or your family."

I know your struggles will go on for some time, but know that you and your family are in our prayers and thoughts. Love ya!!

E. Tyler Rowan said...

I love you! And for the record, there is no one in the world who will be able to tell this story as you can. I can already see how God is weaving the words together in your mind.

Heather said...

Deb, I had no idea that you were a part of the accident story... I agree with Tyler. You have an amazing story of this walk through fire!! What a glorious story God is weaving into your life. You don't want this to be your life, and I truly wish it weren't, but you are so right!! God does see you and He'll see you through. Until then, I love you and I'll do anything I can to help you through, too.

PS - He's a tough guy... find a couch pillow and yell and punch a little - He can take it...

This is my verse: "...God will let you laugh again; you'll raise the roof with shouts of joy..." ~ Job 8:21 (msg)