Sunday, January 27, 2013

Don't take parenting advice from me....

NEWS FLASH...Raising kids is hard.  Really hard. If you already have kids over the age of, well, birth, this isn't really news.

In the past few months, I have found myself face to face with issues I would have thought I wouldn't have to deal with.  I have parented with a basic philosophy that I would "instruct them in the way they should go, and when they are old, they will not depart from it."  I payed attention to their bents, listened to the Holy Spirit for specific instruction and wisdom in every situation.  Help me, Lord, was always on my lips.  My best parenting moments have been ones "birthed" on my knees.

Andrew and I have taught our children to be counter culture.  That the world will lie to them.  The world does not care about the things of God and therefore, the world's view on an issue is probably very far from God's view.  We told them that the only word they need to trust, should trust, CAN trust, is the inspired Word of God.  I promised them that if they ever wanted to know the Truth, that they could come to me, and based on what the Word of God said, we would find the truth together.  I hoped to raise them to not follow the crowd.  To love the Lord their God with all their heart, all their soul and all their minds.  And they do.

I didn't think about the consequences to my own sensibilities when I was leading them in devotions - teaching them that their first alliance is to Christ and Christ alone. When I told them to THINK, to be sensitive and open to the Holy Spirit and His leading.  I taught them how to hear His voice.  And there's the rub.  They listened.  They hear from God.  They have bents that I do not fully appreciate or comprehend.  I am watching my heavenly Father lead them down roads that I am unsure of.  Roads that I would fear to walk along, but somehow these children of "mine" are walking down in full assurance of His Holy Hand of guidance.

Entrusting these precious ones to a Plan and Purpose greater than I; committing to uphold them in prayer and under-girding them with my unconditional love; requires a Power greater than I possess. And so I am back on my knees, asking the Lord for wisdom and clarity.  But not for me.  For them.  As they walk out into the world, I trust that God who has begun a good work in each of them, will be faithful to complete it.

On Him, I can put my full trust.







No comments: